Utthita Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Lunge Pose)
Utthita = raised
Ashwa Sanchalanasana=horse, for pranic energy / riding posture / or lunge
This yoga pose will offers a spinal stretch, opening the chest and pelvic cavities. This yoga position is used in the Sun Salutation stretching the groin, hip flexors, and legs. It is a productive yoga exercise to strengthen the spine and surrounding muscles.
Practice of Utthita Ashwa Sanchalanasana
- Stand in Tadasana.
- On an exhalation, step or lightly jump your feet 3½ to 4 feet apart. Raise your arms parallel to the floor and reach them actively out to the sides, shoulder blades wide, palms down.
- Turn your left foot in slightly to the right and your right foot out to the right 90 degrees. Align the right heel with the left heel.
- Firm your thighs and turn your right thigh outward, so that the center of the kneecap is in line with the center of the right ankle.
- Roll the left hip slightly forward, toward the right, but rotate your upper torso back to the left.
- Anchor the left (back) heel to the floor by lifting the inner left groin deep into the pelvis.
- Then exhale and bend your right knee over the right ankle, so that the shin is perpendicular to the floor. As you bend the knee aim the inner knee toward the little-toe side of the foot. If possible, bring the right thigh parallel to the floor.
- As you continue to ground your left heel to the floor, exhale and lay the right side of your torso down onto (or bring it as close as possible to) the top of the right thigh.
- Press your right fingertips (or palm) on the floor just outside of your right foot.
- Actively push the right knee back against the inner arm; counter this by burrowing your tail bone into the back of your pelvis, toward the pubis. The inside of your right thigh should be parallel with the long edge of your sticky mat.
Utthita Ashwa Sanchalanasana Benefits
- Strengthens and stretches the legs, knees, and ankles, and waist
- Stretches the groins, spine, waist, chest and lungs, and shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Increases stamina and lung capacity
- This asana opens the groin and hips, stretching and toning the thighs.
- As you lengthen through the spine, it also stretches the chest.
- Therapeutic Applications in Constipation, Infertility, Low backache ,Osteoporosis ,Sciatica,Menstrual discomfort