Colours of the dreams
Color appears in dreams in many ways: as a image that is completely or partly in color (a woman in a red hat); as colored shapes or areas (yellow square, or blue background); or as the recall of a total scene or entire dream in natural color (green grass, blue sky, brown and green trees, etc.). Many report their dreams are without color, or relate them as black and white. The recalling the color black, white or gray in dreams actually does have color significance. Recalling a black object for example represents the visual image of ìblackness which is different from simply recalling the image. Research in the sleep lab has shown that most of our dreams are in color (70% to 83%), and that it is a matter of recall that results in such a low report of dream color, just as it is a matter of recall that we remember so few of our dreams which occupy about 25% of our sleep time at night.
Color is as much a symbol as is the imagery in a dream. Color appears to represent the emotional conditions that stimulated a dream or dream image. As with any other symbol, color combines with the imagery to form a more complete “meaning” for the dream image. Just as the face of your son might combine with the body of a bird to represent some personal meaning such as “my son has left the nest”, color will combine with a dream image to give it greater emotional significance. A red hat would be more expressive of passion, drive and vibrancy, for example, than a colorless hat.Color appears in dreams in many ways: as a image that is completely or partly in color (a woman in a red hat); as colored shapes or areas (yellow square, or blue background); or as the recall of a total scene or entire dream in natural color (green grass, blue sky, brown and green trees, etc.). Many report their dreams are without color, or relate them as black and white. The recalling the color black, white or gray in dreams actually does have color significance. Recalling a black object for example represents the visual image of ìblackness which is different from simply recalling the image. Research in the sleep lab has shown that most of our dreams are in color (70% to 83%), and that it is a matter of recall that results in such a low report of dream color, just as it is a matter of recall that we remember so few of our dreams which occupy about 25% of our sleep time at night.
Colour in dreams
White – Perfection
If White was prominent in your dream, it is likely that you are feeling hopeful and positive. You may be about to make a new start in life (having come through a period of change). You should take note of what your dream is telling you; it may be that you have rid yourself of previous problems or responsibilities and are ready to begin again.
• Meaning: Hope, faith, purity, perfection, confidence, enlightenment.
• When mixed or associated with other colors it purifies and refines the meaning of that color.
• White alone can indicate a proud, rigid, judgmental immaturity – a ‘should be’, controlling attitude.
• Soft or pearl white can indicate the gift of prophesy.
People feel they can rely on you. You have an abundance of energy and vitality.
Black – Fear
When Black emerges in your dreams it is to be taken seriously. To encounter black objects or general blackness in your dream may reflect a feeling of depression in your waking life: about life in general, about a particular area of life, or about someone who is special to you. If black recurs, carefully study what form it takes, and your mood in the dream. Soon, hopefully, you will see a more positive color, in which case you and your problems will probably have turned a significant corner.
• Meaning: Negativity, i.e. fear, anxiety, hatred, resentment, guilt, depression (no hope / faith).
• When mixed or associated with other colors it adulterates their meaning e.g. darker shades of red, blue yellow, etc..
• Black and White indicates Intolerance, simplistic extremism – ‘If something is not good it must be evil’
Black signifies isolation and transition period. It shows up conflicts and friction with relations and friends.
Related with a transition period. If clear signifies peace but if dull signifies, fear.
Red – Passion – Base
Red is the color of heat, passion, fire, and anger. If the color red features in your dream, it may mean that you are feeling extremely angry about a problem or about someone’s behavior. In addition, because there is a relationship between red and energy, you should consider whether you are burning your energy in the most rewarding way. The dream may be hinting that you should be more energetic in waking life.
• Meaning: Joy, sexuality, aggression, animal passion, fun.
• Shade of red is important
• Scarlet: lust
• Maroon: frigidity
• Red and black: anger,
• Red and white: need for joy and hope – especially if worn or brought by a healing agent
This is an indication of great passion and sensitivity in your emotional relationships.
Orange – Drive / Ambition – Sacral
• Meaning: Drive, ambition, (mix of yellow and red).
• Energizing color, especially in career dreams. Orange and Black: Career.
• Also used to heal the digestive / elimination system.
The color orange in dreams indicates passion in every aspect of your life.
Yellow – Intellect – Solar Plexus
Yellow and Orange are positive colors, representing sunshine. A theme of cheerfulness and optimism should be with you if these colors were prominent in your dream; such a dream may be encouraging you to pursue your objectives. A murky yellow, however, may be commenting on the (perhaps unhealthy) state of your liver.
• Meaning: Mental activity, intellect. Ability to rationalize.
• If brought by healing agent it means the dreamer has difficulty rationalizing. Muddy or mustard yellow has the same meaning.
• If guide wears or brings pure bright yellow, i.e. Yellow (intellect) plus White (Enlightenment) then dreamer has an intuitive or enlightened intellect.
• Yellow may represent dreamer’s usual reaction to the subject matter.
This color is a sign of confidence in yourself and your abilities but will encounter opposition.
Green – Sharing / Balance – Heart
If the color Green emerges in your dream, there may be a suggestion that you are particularly in tune with the environment, and with green issues generally. Other symbols in your dream should help you to understand your attitude toward these important issues. In terms of your attitude and relationship with other people, you should consider whether you are feeling jealous or envious of another person’s actions or achievements in waking life. If this is the case, perhaps you should reassess your opinion and outlook. In another way, your dream may be hinting that you have recently responded naively to a waking situation or suggestion.
• Meaning: Adaptability, reconciliation, Need for healing, harmony, balance, reconciliation (within self or self with others).
• Dark green, battle dress green or green and black represent difficulties with sharing (jealousy, rivalry). Need to balance male and female aspects. • Look for trouble with the heart.
• Balance and healing for the heart, circulatory systems and emotions by becoming more giving, generous and emotionally ‘open’.
• If the green is worn or brought by guide (esp. if pink or peach also appears) then the dreamer has counseling skills (click here for more). Also indicated by Books, Newspapers, Library.
Growth and serenity. There are projects which you are enthusiastic about. Great pleasures from simple things.
Normally indicates new opportunities and the successful completion of projects. Sign of good luck.
Pink – Unconditional Love – Heart
• Meaning: Love (mix of red and white), need for unconditional love, usually mother love or love for mother,
• This usually means that the dreamer did not bond with mother or mother did not give unconditional love at birth.
Associated with tenderness and love. You can expect interesting developments in relations with opposite sex.
Blue – Philosophy – Throat
Blue is the color that represents our moods. The interpretation will largely depend on whether the color featured in the dream was dark and mysterious or bright, dazzling sky-blue. If it was the former, are you feeling nostalgic or depressed, or that your life lacks romance? In the latter case, are you about to “take off into the blue” – on vacation, or embark on an important and exciting new project?
• Meaning: Spirituality, religion, art, culture, philosophy, attitude to life itself.
• Dark blue (blue + black): Negative philosophy of life. e.g. superstition or fearful form of religion. When fear (black) is mixed with blue (fear pollutes attitude to life).
• Light Blue (blue + white): Hope / faith. Healing agents will often appear wearing this color.
• If guide appears wearing blue and silver or gold then you are expected to regard intuition (silver) or healing (gold) as spiritual.
This dream denotes a great source of inner peace and a symbol of contentment.
Purple – Spiritual Leader / Teacher – Crown
Purple is the color authority, majesty, and the law. Consider whether you have been acting “royally” recently – for good or ill. Other symbols in your dream may reveal whether you should become a little more humble, or whether your regal purple was encouraging you to develop greater self-confidence.
• Meaning: Nobility of purpose, spiritual leadership, spiritual teaching, regal, power, authority in spiritual matters e.g. bishops wear purple.
• Shade of purple is important
• Mauve: endurance
• Lilac: responsibility
• Indigo: clairvoyance (Brow Chakra)
Great aspirations and understanding of visible and invisible realms. Take advantage of your creativity.
Peach – Empathy
• If guide wears or brings peach or pink and green it means that the dreamer has the potential to be a counselor (having empathy and harmony).
Cream – Acceptance
• Meaning: Acceptance, tolerance, a growing maturity or a need for tolerance.
• Everything related with this color denotes neutrality and detachment. There is absence of communication.
Brown – Practicality
• Meaning: Earthy, practical, of the earth.
• Dark or dull brown: unenlightened or depressing earthiness of denial of spirit, negative materiality.
This is an auspicious color to dream about:signifies freedom, success, money and happy and long-lasting union.
Silver – Intuition
• Indicates that the dreamer has the Spiritual Gift of Intuition.
Gold – Spiritual Healing
• Indicates that the dreamer has a Spiritual Healing gift (click here for more).