Have you been through your medicine cabinet lately? Have you checked expiration dates and done a little cabinet cleaning? Have you replaced 5 common drugs you should always have at home? If you haven’t, you should do this immediately. It is vital that you always have certain medications on hand at home, and it is just as vital that you have a clear understanding as to whichmedications you need, and why you need them.
Why You Need to Keep a Supply of Certain Medications
Accidents happen in the home more than any other place on the planet, and you need to be prepared for them. Illnesses also occur, and again, it is always best to have the necessary medications on hand to treat minor illnesses and injuries. If you do not have the necessary products and items on hand, you may have to pay a large doctor or hospital bill now, or in the future.
Because over-the-counter medications are not inexpensive, it is a good idea to know what you need, and to pick these items up when they are on sale as much as possible. For most medications, the expiration date is a year or two off, so it doesn’t hurt to buy common drugs that you will most likely use before you need them.
- Acetaminophen – Thisdrugis used to treat fever, and to some extent, minorpain. Most adults already keep a handy supply of this for those frequent headaches.
- Ibuprofen – Ibuprofen helps with swelling and inflammation. It is not the same as aspirin or Acetaminophen.
- Antibiotic Cream – Antibiotic cream is excellent for many different situations, including cuts, scratches, and insect bites.
- Burn Cream – Burns hurt, and they can be very serious. Make sure that you have an appropriate cream for fast treatment, for quicker pain relief, and to ensure that the healing process begins as soon as possible.
- Cough and Cold Medicine – There is nothing like waking up to a cough in the middle of the night, and realizing that you have nothing on hand to quell the cough. Keep an eye on expiration dates.
Additional Medications You Should Consider
Other medications that you should consider for your medicine cabinet include antacid medications, medication designed specifically for children, aspirin, sunscreen, eye drops, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, toothache medication, allergymedications, medication for sore muscles, vitamins, bandages, prescriptionmedications, and any other product that you might use for your specific health care.